A Family Story: Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941

Date: December 13, 2013 Categories: Family Comments: 7 Comments Share:

My grandmother, Effie Hedges, lived until she was 95 years old but she never recovered from the tragedies of loss of her children, particularly Teddy, her youngest, among those lost on the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor. Her first child died at the age of four after eating the poisonous wild parsnip along a stream in the wilds of Idaho, a story of grief and tragedy in itself.  Her only girl died in her 40s of colon cancer. That left only my father, Jay, alive. Ironically, he too died just weeks after her death. He was 69, she was 95.

Effie Hedges 1926

Effie Thornton Stevens age 26. Born 1890 Picture taken in 1916

Zoe Jay Teddie

The family of Theodore Roosevelt Stevens Middle Theodore, left Zoe, and right Jay

But here I want to tell you the story of my uncle, Theodore Roosevelt Stevens, a machinist mate on the Arizona. He was born at home in a small town in Southern Idaho, Howe, where his father had homesteaded.  He was the son of Effie and Frank Stevens, farmers. Effie, my grandmother, married 40 year old Frank Stevens at the age of 16. By 1941, she was remarried and living in Eagle, Idaho.

Theodore Roosevelt Stevens

Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt Stevens. Born July 7, 1919. Died December 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor. My grandmother had written on the back of this photograph, as if trying not to for- get: “eyes brown, hair dark brown, complection olive.”

I never asked why they called their last child Theodore Roosevelt Stevens. However, maybe it was because the year Teddy was born was the year Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th president of the United States, died. Or maybe he was someone she admired. Teddy left to join the Navy in September 7, 1937 and was assigned to the Arizona. He was a skilled mechanic and was responsible to keep the small spotter planes serviced. He was a young man full of hope. But his life ended on that “day of infamy.”  His remains are among those lying at the bottom of the ocean. He was just 22.

Sailor Teddy

Sailor Teddy. Joined the Navy September 7, 1937 at 19 Aviation Machinest Mate Second Class

Small spotter planes on the Arizona

Small spotter planes on the Arizona

Today it is hard to imagine the agony of not knowing whether your son or daughter is alive or dead for months. Deaths of military personnel are communicated quickly today. That, however, does not lessen the pain. But in 1941, communication was not what it is today. There was no internet, cell phones, real-time visual reports or other.  It took months to communicate to families the loss of their loved ones. Security was tight and information held close.

The first telegram came January 2, 1942. Note it does not tell her he died but was missing in action. She was not to even tell anyone what ship he was on. The confirmation or the recognition that most were lost on the USS Arizona did not come for months. To her, the agony of not knowing was nearly unbearable. The family was pulled by dread of loss and a sense of hope that the reality was not true. Some sailors survived because they were on leave on-shore and some jumped as the ship sank. Perhaps he was one of them. But time went on without word and the hope faded. The final word came. He was among the dead.

Theodore Roosevelt Stevens

When my grandmother died, all the information about her three deceased children was in an envelope. Within the envelope were the obituaries, telegrams, and pictures.  Along with all that, there was a handwritten note :  I found my broken heart among my souvenirs.

As a mother, myself, I came to understand her grief and the agony of her loss. I understood more about her broken heart and how she carried it as one of the deepest burdens a mother can carry.  Every December 7th she would take flowers to the Boise River and throw them in the river in the memory of her son.

I first visited the Arizona Memorial in 1988 and then again in 2009 with my granddaughter. In 1988, the reality of the event came to home when I stood on the deck of the Arizona Memorial and saw his name inscribed on the memorial wall, T.R Stevens AMM2C. I stood there with many others with tears rolling down my face, remember- ing my grandmother’s deepest sorrow along with others searching for the names of their family members.

USS Arizona Memorial

Arizona Memorial

Arizona Memorial

Arizona Memorial

Arizona Memorial

Arizona Memorial

I truely hope we never forget those who have sacrificed for our Country and the families who have grieved those lost to them forever.

In Grateful Memory

In Grateful Memory

7 Responses to "A Family Story: Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941"

Add Comment
  1. Anna Riggs

    December 13, 2013 at 7:54 pm Reply

    Terry, you have a remarkable gift for story-telling. Thank you for sharing.

  2. Kelly Wilhelm

    April 15, 2014 at 12:54 am Reply

    Thank you for this beautiful story, beautifully told.

  3. Claudia J. Thedens

    January 26, 2015 at 4:00 pm Reply

    I am working on a 75th Anniversary edition of my book, The Men of the USS Arizona. I am looking for more information, family stories and a photo of Theadore that I can add to his info in the book. I found your story and photo of Theadore. I would like your permission to place his photo next to his info in the book. You will be credited with your contribution.

    • David Carter

      September 8, 2016 at 1:32 am Reply

      Are you related to T.J. Cooper?

  4. Sharon McCabe

    May 24, 2015 at 10:02 pm Reply

    God bless Mr. Stevens and all who have served and are serving. Yhank you for sharing with us.

  5. Lu Valdez

    November 29, 2016 at 8:18 pm Reply

    Terry, you are an amazing lady! Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. It is very inspirational.

  6. Claudia J. Thedens

    March 2, 2017 at 3:56 pm Reply

    Yes, David. T.J. Cooper is my pen name.

Submit a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *